The Best Laptops for Seniors
Whether you use your computer to run a business or only to check email here is my list of the best laptops for Seniors. I prepared this list based on easy of use and affordability. As we get older many tasks become increasingly difficult. Using the Internet and email to stay up to date and in touch with friends and family should not be one of them.
Before going shopping for a new desktop or laptop computer there are a few things Seniors should consider.
Mac or PC? Both Mac and Windows computers are easy to use and can run the same software programs. Mac computers tend to be priced rather expensively however with that high price you get quality product and support. Windows computers are the best way to go if you are on a more limited income, as they can often be found on sale for just a fraction of the price of an Apple computer.
What will you use it for?
You can purchase a lot less computer if you do not use a computer often and simply check email and browse the web. More expensive computers will not provide any real benefit to you so its wise to shop for more attractively priced computers. As of November 2019 you can purchase a new Windows based desktop computer for $250 or less. A MAC will start at around $700 for the bottom of the line.
What software do you need?
All new computers come with some software. However be clear on what you need for what you do. Are you a writer? You will certainly need a word processor and these typically are not included in the purchase of a new computer. So you will need to either purchase Microsoft Office, or install Open Office which is a fantastic and free word processor. Into graphics? You may need to purchase Photoshop which can cost as much as a desktop computer!
If you only plan on using email and the web you should not need to purchase any additional software.
What is your budget?
Many Seniors are on limited incomes. For this reason I usually recommend purchasing a Windows PC over an Apple PC. A senior can purchase a basic desktop PC for as low as $250. An affordable option for Seniors.
The Best Laptops For Seniors
The following laptops received high ratings from individuals who have purchased them for themselves or for elderly parents and grandparents. Each laptop was evaluated for ease of use, any accessibility issues, functionality, and price.
This unit is priced to be affordable and offers everything a Senior needs to use email and surf the web.
A bit more expensive but also more power in the case you need more computer for uses such as Photoshop.
If you prefer a desktop computer over a laptop you have choices.
The Best Laptops For Seniors
For more information about shopping for the best laptops for Seniors and accessories, as well as getting the most from your new laptop, the following websites provide additional helpful information.
- Skillful Senior: This helpful website offers tutorials and more to teach seniors how to make the most of their computers.
- Microsoft Accessibility: Tips from Microsoft on how to adapt your computer to common situations faced by seniors.
- The Senior’s Guide to Computers: This website offers a glossary of basic computing terminology and helpful articles for seniors new to computers.
- Learn Free.org: Often cited as a good resource for beginners, GCF’s Learn Free offers basic computing courses online
- Top Social Networking Sites: While not specifically for seniors, this list of sites will help anyone find the social networking platform that’s right for them. Whether you’re a casual user just interested in keeping up with friends and family or harnessing the power of social media for your business, you can find a site here.
Paying for a Laptop
Sometimes it can be difficult coming up with the funds for a new computer, but there are a few options to try that might help get you the laptop you need:
- If you are over age 65, you might qualify for income-assistance through the social security office, called Supplemental Security Income (SSI). Visit socialsecurity.gov to find your local Social Security office to see if you qualify.
- Refurbished laptops are machines that have been returned by the original owner to the company where the laptop will be repaired and factory reset. These laptops may or may not come with a manufacturer’s warranty, make sure to read the fine print to protect your investment.
These are my recommendations as of January 2023. I will be updating this often so if you are not quite ready to start shopping for the best laptops for Seniors be sure to come back. And when you need computer help I am here to help you.
For more information about Seniors and technology take a look here: AT&T SENIOR GUIDE TO TECHNOLOGY
How Convenient Online Computer Help Works in 2023
How Convenient Online Computer Help Works in 2023 [...]
The Best Way To Get Computer Help If You Are Homebound
The Best Way To Get Computer Help If You [...]
What is the best online computer repair service in 2023?
What is the best online computer repair service in [...]
Transfer My Files From Old Computer to New
Transfer My Files From Old Computer to New [...]
The Benefits of Online Support for Computer Repairs 2023
The Benefits of Online Support for Computer Repairs [...]
10 Best Apps for Seniors in 2023
10 Best Apps for Seniors in 2023 People [...]
That Tech Jeff can help you with your computer no matter where you live! Get online computer help or computer tutoring no matter where you live. Just read the more than 900 five-star reviews. (thumbtack and google combined)
That Tech Jeff has 26 years experience and has offered computer help online since 2007. Before you head to Geek Squad get That Tech Jeff’s advice. Its free.
Affordable and honest FLAT RATE online help – no hourly charge.
You pay just one price if your problems are fixed and nothing if not.
- The Best Laptops for Seniors
- Mac or PC? Both Mac and Windows computers are easy to use and can run the same software programs. Mac computers tend to be priced rather expensively however with that high price you get quality product and support. Windows computers are the best way to go if you are on a more limited income, as they can often be found on sale for just a fraction of the price of an Apple computer.
- What will you use it for?
- What software do you need?